Juneau Hope Endowment Fund/CBJ Social Service Grant Program
Juneau Hope Endowment Fund
The Juneau Hope Endowment Fund was established in September 2014 with the intent of supporting 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations and government agencies that provide programs and services in the Juneau community to address the following social issues:
Relief for Victims of Violence
In 2015, the City & Borough of Juneau started adding their social service block grant funds to the Hope Fund grant program. In 2017, the Foundation will award approximately $1.9 million in grants to organizations and agencies that address these social issues. The Foundation seeks to fund the highest priority social service needs in Juneau. As part of the grant making process, the Foundation convenes close to twenty community meetings with local social service providers. The purpose of these meetings is to establish priority needs and to encourage cooperative proposals. In addition, the Foundation utilizes a Professional Advisory Committee to review all proposals and make funding recommendations to the Foundation’s Board of Directors.
CBJ Social Service Grant Funding
The City and Borough of Juneau Social Service Grant Program was established by the CBJ Assembly, which provides annual appropriations to the program. It is anticipated that the Assembly will provide approximately $890,000 for the 2017 grant award cycle. These grants are for 501(c)3 non-profit organizations to support services to people in Juneau in these areas:
- Access to Health Care (affordable healthcare, insurance coverage)
- Suicide Prevention
- Substance Abuse (treatment/prevention)
- Infants and Toddlers (prenatal care, pediatric care, nutrition)
- Seniors (access to healthcare, prescription medicine, mobility, end of life care, adult daycare)
- People with Disabilities (access to care, integration into community)
- Readiness to Learn (literacy fundamentals for all ages)
- Early Elementary Performance (reading, writing)
- Success in High School (dropout/graduation rate, disproportionally)
- Community Building in Schools (student volunteers, parent engagement)
- Access to Employment (access to childcare, quality of care)
- Shelter and Housing (supported/transitional housing emergency shelter, cost of living)
- Poverty (food, clothing, shelter)
- Young Adult Stability (employment, teen pregnancy)
- Family Stability (adult/mentor support and availability, domestic violence)
CBJ Utility Waiver Funding
The CBJ Utility Waiver program provides sewer and water utility waivers submitted by local health and social service 501(c)3 non-profit agencies in Juneau that provide transitional overnight accommodations. Organizations applying for this funding have to demonstrate that they have provided these services for at least one year. Grants are determined each year before the end of April, however funding is not available until after July 15. Grant funds can be expended until June 31 of the following year.
Additional Grant Program Information
Hope Endowment/CBJ Social Service/Utility Waiver funds cannot be used for capital projects. There is no set minimum or maximum grant funding level. The Foundation requests, but does not require, potential applicants to submit a letter of interest using the Letter of Interest Form (available in early December). Grants are determined each year before the end of April, however funding is not available until after July 15. Grant funds can be expended until June 31 of the following year.
2017 Juneau Hope Endowment Fund/CBJ Social Service Grant Application
For all Juneau Hope Endowment Fund/CBJ Social Service Grant proposals, please use a single application. 2017 Letters of Interest for the Juneau Hope Endowment/CBJ Social Service Grant program were due December 31, 2016. Letters of Interest are recommended for all agencies considering applying for these grants.
2016 Grant Reporting Form for Juneau Hope Endowment/CBJ Social Service Grants. If your organization has a 2016 grant from these funds, this reporting form must be submitted by December 31 in order to be considered for a 2017 grant.
2017 CBJ Utility Waiver Application
Use a separate application for Utility Waiver proposals.